By Nilroy K. Dutta, Qiang Wang
This important booklet offers a finished therapy of the layout and functions of the semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA). SOAs are very important elements for optical verbal exchange platforms with purposes as in-line amplifiers and as useful units in evolving optical networks. The sensible purposes of SOAs have been first studied within the early Nineteen Nineties; because then, the range and scope of such functions were progressively transforming into. "Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers" is self-contained and unified in presentation. The remedies within the e-book are specific adequate to seize the curiosity of the curious reader and sufficiently whole to supply the required history to discover the topic additional. it truly is meant for use as a complicated textual content by way of graduate scholars and through practising engineers yet is additionally appropriate for non-experts who desire to have an summary of optical amplifiers.
Read Online or Download Semiconductor optical amplifiers PDF
Best optics books
This in-depth name discusses the underlying physics and operational ideas of semiconductor lasers. It analyzes the optical and digital houses of the semiconductor medium intimately, together with quantum confinement and gain-engineering results. The textual content additionally comprises contemporary advancements in blue-emitting semiconductor lasers.
Textual content provides the major innovations of the sphere at a degree compatible for graduate scholars within the actual sciences who may well or would possibly not focus on nonlinear optics or laser spectroscopy. moreover, the important equations of nonlinear physics are brought and regarding nonlinear optics. Annotation
The opportunity of inspired gentle emission used to be mentioned by means of Einstein in 1917, 8 years sooner than the quantum-mechanical description of power degrees of many-electron platforms. notwithstanding it really is primary to take advantage of samples having optical homes enormously various from the stan dard non-stop spectrum of opaque items ("black physique" radia tion) it isn't regularly essential to limit the research to monatomic entities.
- Modern Introduction to Surface Plasmons: Theory, Mathematica Modeling, and Applications
- Photochromic Materials: Preparation, Properties and Applications
- Quantum electronics, Edition: [1st English ed.]
- Ellipsometry and Polarized Light (North-Holland Personal Library)
- Optics: Principles and Applications
- Selected Topics in Advanced Solid State and Fibre Optic Sensors (I E E Circuits, Devices and Systems Series)
Extra resources for Semiconductor optical amplifiers
3 µm InGaAsP. 3 µm InGaAsP. 08 m0 , where m0 , mhh , mlh are the free electron, heavy hole, and the light hole mass, respectively. 1 shows that nt , is considerably smaller at low temperatures. For optical gain the injected carrier density must be higher than nt . The high carrier densities needed for gain can be generated in a semiconductor by optical excitation or current injection. The optical gain as a function of carrier density and current density is discussed in detail in Chapter 3. The ampliﬁer gain is higher at low temperature for the same injection current.
M. Andreev, E. L. Portnoi and M. K. Trukan, Sov. Phys. Semiconductors, 3, 1107 (1970). 23. I. Hayashi, M. B. Panish, P W. Foy and S. Sumski, Appl. Phys. Lett. 17, 109 (1970). 24. R. Dingle, W. Wiegman and C. H. Henry, Phys. Rev. Lett. 33, 827 (1974). 25. P. Zory Ed. Quantum Well Lasers, (John Wiley, New York, 1992). 26. K. Magari, M. Okamoto and Y. Noguchi, IEEE Photon Tech. Letts. 3, 998 (1991). 27. M. Joma, H. Horokawa, C. Q. Xu, K. Yamada, Y. Katoh and T. Kamijoh, Appl. Phys. Lett. 62, 121 (1993).
7) ∆νa is known as the ampliﬁer bandwidth. As expected, ∆νa is smaller than ∆νg , the value of ∆νa depends on the ampliﬁer gain. 1) shows that the material gain depends on the optical power (P ). For low optical powers, the gain is higher than that for high optical powers. This is the origin of gain saturation. Since g is reduced when P becomes comparable to Ps , the ampliﬁer gain G also decreases when P becomes large. For simplicity, we consider the case when the frequency of FA January 2, 2006 10:34 SPI-B340: Semiconductor Optical Ampliﬁers (Ed: Chee Hock) 18 Semiconductor Optical Ampliﬁers the incident light ω = ω0 , in this case, using Eqs.